Monday, June 09, 2008

Big Trouble, Little China: Big Stupidity, Little Merit

I need a guy's help. I don't get my husband right now. He's sitting on the couch, as I type this, eating a bowl of ice cream. That's pretty typical. But he's watching Big Trouble in Little China. And ENJOYING it! This is a movie with the stupidest plot on record and lines like, "Are you ready?" (As Kurt Russell and his side kick rush in to save the girl.) "I was born ready." What?!?
I don't understand how Sammie is enjoying this. This is my film-school graduate, worked on movie sets and in the Technicolor film lab, loves to hate stupid movies, cinema snob husband Sammie. Is it a guy thing? Someone help me. After almost three years of marriage, I thought I knew this guy...

Oh. And I should add that we OWN the copy of the movie he's watching.

My universe just turned upside down.

8 comments:

Heather said...

We also own that movie AND I also don't get it. Jeremy loves the movie. He calls it a classic. I call it stupid. Every time we go through our movies, trying to decide which of them to get rid of, I always vote for that one, and we always keep it. (I don't think my votes count). Good luck with this one, I'm all ears for any advice.

Pretty Mahana said...

It might be a guy growing up in the '80s thing. My brothers LOVED that movie. It's kinda a cult classic for them. That's the best thing I can come up with. Jon has probably never seen it, so I don't have to worry about confusing things like this.

Martha said...

Hmmm. I wish I knew. I asked Adam and he compared it to his love for the movie "Ladyhawk." Ever seen it? I didn't think so. It's also from the 80s. I think the script was written by the same person as Big Trouble Little China. The music soundtrack would be one song: the same 80's song that plays every time the scene changes. So I know this sheds no light on your plight, but know that all of us wives are with you in that plight! And by the way I'm glad you have no life because it means more blog updates because I REALLY have no life.

Sally said...

That is hilarious! Tom was also watching it on TV and all our kids were in the room, I had to veto. Too dumb and violent for kids! (And for adults)

catharooni said...

kurt russell is a MAN'S man, who isn't model-gorgeous AND who saves the chick (who always helps in her own rescue, but who couldn't do it without him) ... very macho-affirming.

my advice? pull out pride and prejudice (a&e version) and have at it!!

ps. we NEED to talk!!!p

Sara Corinne said...

was helping my buddy jesse move into my best friend shadia's house today (they're a couple) and i noticed a copy of that movie in the "to goodwill" box. funny. wonder who put it there. Shadia, or Jesse.

Terri said...

I LOVE that movie! Oh-well I never said I had taste. Matt likes it too.

Amy & Mark said...

Does this movie have Kung Fu in it? I'll never forget the horror I felt when, shortly after we'd been married, I came home to see Mark watching some ancient, very poorly acted, Bruce Lee movie :). Apparently guys seem to like these kinds of things. We can't wait to connect with you when we get to TX!